Monday, November 10, 2008

Singers tour Week 10

Is there a life management tool someone could sell me out there? K, thanks.

From last Wednesday till Sunday night I was on tour with University Singers. We performed at various high schools and churches around northern and eastern Ohio. It really was a blast--despite the missing class and not having time to get work done part. I wasn't smart like Evan who brought his computer into a mall to work. Then again, I don't know if I could've handled the people harassing me for money like they did him. We were in Cleveland.

My favorite part of the trip was staying with host families. My roommate and I, Amanda Quintrell, were overly excited to meet our host "mom"s and "dad"s every evening. It is just a unique experience to invade a random family's home for the night. Albeit awkward, there are bound to be stories that arise from the situation. Amanda and I had great hosts every night (by the end we were hoping for a bad one so we could have an exciting story to tell). Our first host mom gave up her master bedroom for us. She threw us a nacho party and invited all of her friends over so we could meet them. In the morning, we received a breakfast smorgasbord too. The second night, Amanda and I stayed with a nice old couple in Mansfield. The lady bought us Starbucks and let us browse a Barnes and Noble for an hour before heading to their home. Despite not having a shower, we slept well and were grateful. The third family experience was also pleasant. It was another old couple who fed us and basically left us on our own. Their cat loved me(I named it Buttons) and their dog didn't love me. Anyway, they took us out to a local diner for breakfast and we conversed about all kinds of things.

I'm glad that during our tour, we stayed with families instead of in hotels, because it really helped us to connect with people. I'm not a big talker, but I am always interested in other people's lives. I love to hear their stories and see from where people come. Because of the way our tour was set up, we could do that.
Bonding with choir members was also a huge positive that resulted from our tour. I feel much more comfortable around them now considering I spent several hours squished on a bus with them, swapping stories and sharing everything.
The tour was more fun than I expected, but it is causing me to breakdown now, after the fact. I'll be astonished if I don't drown under my workload this week...

No comments: