Monday, November 3, 2008

GPS underwear Week 9

In our high-tech day when everything and everyone is connected, I'm still flabbergasted at some of the insane things people think they can do with new technology. They twist useful tools and incorporate them into idiotic products. Like this newest product I found online--lingerie fitted with a GPS tracking system. ...see what I mean about idiotic? Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks this is weird and ridiculous; most women, especially feminists, are "reacting with horror to what they call the 'chastity belt'." I've read the article over and over but I still can't find the real purpose for this invention. Lucia Lorio, the Brazilian designer, says it's a "wink to women and a challenge to men because even if she gives him the password to her GPS, she can always turn it off." Still, I don't see why? Especially since it ranges from 500-700 euros. She also said women want to use it for protection reasons when they go out in big cities. Whatever the reason, it is plain weird to buy underwear with a built-in GPS tracking system.

As long as the technology keeps evolving, there are going to be people who exploit it for strange uses. Some of the uses may catch on, but others are only going to be mentioned in a few articles and bought by a small group of people. I have a strong feeling this is going to be one of those 'firecracker'inventions. It will fizzle out soon enough.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1082707/Outrage-chastity-belt-lingerie-fitted-GPS-tracking-system.html?ITO=1490

1 comment:

CaseyDee said...

Oh my goodness, what a waste! It seems as though as long as there is technology, there will be people who find ways to make me wish we didn't have it. This goes back to what I ask myself on many occasions, "who has time to sit around and think of this stuff??"

We wonder why we haven't found a cure for cancer or solved the world hunger crisis, but we make sure women in large cities will be able to keep their boyfriends abreast of what department store they're shopping in...

disgusting.