Monday, October 6, 2008

Who's Your Daddy? Week 5

Through Digg.com, I found a shocking blog post. A blogger named Amy who is part of The Garage Sale Blog Network wants to have a baby. And she is turning to blogging to make that happen. Her story reminded me of the lady we talked about in class last week...the one who was selling her virginity online. Amy has a slightly different request. On her latest blog post, she states that she is "looking for some good, hearty seed." She discarded the idea of sperm banks or asking friends, so she decided to turn to her blog's readers and commenters for their sperm contribution. Weird, but true. Her blog's network is helping her finance the baby and she just needs a male to become her sperm donator aka have sex with, no strings attached. The screwed up part is that a ton of people commented and are willing to do it! All they have to do is contact her and send their picture, then she'll supposedly choose one and have at it. I suppose that is one way to get people to read your blog. She is putting absolute trust in her readers and letting random people play a huge part in her life. What will social media be used for next?

I do feel bad for the baby. Where is his/her choice in the matter? "Little Billy, who's your dad?" "Oh I don't know, some guy who commented on my mom's blog once." Right. Some people take things just a little too far.

3 comments:

j-vaidya said...

This is a perfect example of the type of actions on the Web 2.0 model that are riddled with ethical dilemmas.

Should a decision as important as deciding who will be the father of your child really come down to a picture and a blog post? Even if the "winning" participant is further screened after being chosen, how can this woman really know what she is getting herself in to?

Although I disagree with the means to her end, I believe this type of action also speaks to the trust and relationships that can be created through emering social mediums like blogs.

I Dont think this will be the end of shocking stories such as this. As more people join Web 2.0, we will begin to see an ever more diverse atmosphere.

CaseyDee said...

Wow Jamie, this is a crazy post! I tend to agree with Jay about the level of trust in relationships we form in this new Web 2.0 world.

Because social media brings us closer together despite actual distance, we (and I'm including myself) tend to forget that it's STILL the internet, and people are STILL strangers.

While this is true, and this Amy girl could just be another overly-trusting sap desperate for a baby, it also makes me wonder if there is anything people won't do for some publicity. But I suppose with each advancement in technology we should also be prepared for it to fall into the wrong hands!

Dr. Alisa Agozzino said...

Interesting post Jamie. I am sure this will not be the last article to shock me utilizing social media. Good find!