Monday, September 29, 2008

Singing the weekend away Week 4

Where does all the time go? Seriously, this quarter seems to trump all of last years busyness. Maybe it has something to do with the transition from my lazy summer directly into days filled with classes, meetings, friends, athletics, work... I am not complaining though, because I put it all on myself. Most students have this dilemma, several have it worse than I do I'm sure. Anyway, this tangent is somehow leading into what I was involved in this past weekend.

University Singers
, of which I am a part, traveled to Toledo Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights in order to sing with the Toledo Symphony Orchestra. We joined three other colleges to form a 200 member choir. The symphony we performed was composed by Gustav Mahler. The piece is roughly an hour and a half long. The choir only sings in the last fifteen minutes. That left us sitting onstage in our pretty black dresses and tuxes, appearing professional and engaged for quite some time. It was a bit of a challenge, but we made it. Through it, I developed a new appreciation for orchestral music. Having a "front row seat" directly behind the orchestra allowed us to watch their every move and envelop ourselves not only in the sounds, but also in the experience, of classical music.

I am grateful for the opportunities I have been given at ONU so far. I think the university does a spectacular job of encouraging new experiences and pushing for them. It doesn't matter what area of study or what hobbies one pursues...it feels like there is always an organization or cause to get involved with. The opportunites are there, we just need the drive to enthusiastically take them.

No comments: