Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Death isn't the end... Week 7

I love Digg.com. I check it evey other day or so when I have a free minute and desire some interesting info. Tonight when I looked at the site, a top article caught my eye. The title was, "What happens to your web stuff after you die?"
I never pondered that question before and it is weird to think about. When people die, part of them is still living on--perhaps in their Facebook profile, Flickr account, or personal Web site. Does the account last forever? Do you want it to still be out there once you're gone? Apparently some people think it is necessary.
I'm sure there are cases where a Web site should continue after the creator dies, like in business situations, or if they want to keep photo galleries online for friends to have access to. But otherwise, I don't think people should be worried about making sure their online presence outlasts them.

In the article, Struan Robertson, Legal Director with Pinsent Masons and Editor of OUT-LAW.com explains, "You can bequeath your copyright to others. So I can say in my will that I'm leaving all my rights in my photographs or website to a friend. If I don't do that, the copyright will belong to my estate - and in most cases it will survive for 70 years after my death." Most online accounts are terminated if there are extended periods of inactivity. For Web sites, if the domain name isn't renewed every couple of years, someone else can purchase it. If people really want their sites and accounts to continue after they don't, the article says the best thing to do is to leave their log-in information and passwords to a trusted source and let the source take over. It doesn't have to be in a formal will, it could just be a mutual understanding.

I know when I'm gone, I would rather my online presence be gone too. It is creepy to think of people visiting my sites, or me visiting theirs, after knowing they have passed away.

1 comment:

Evan E. Roberts said...

Wow this is deep Jamie...I have a friend who died on 06 and her pic pops up randomly on the "mutual friends" area on facebook sometimes. But I know a lot of people still write on her wall and stuff, in memoriam and stuff like that, cause its cathartic. I never thought about this either, what an interesting article.