Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Corn Week 8

Corn is amazing. I've grown up with corn all around me; it's really hard not to considering I live in northwest Ohio. Occasionally though, I'll look out at a cornfield with fresh eyes and realize how beautiful it can be. Despite their creepy reputation thanks to the movie industry, corn fields are something to enjoy. And there are so many ways to enjoy a corn field. Let me list a few.

1. Corn on the cob - Delicious, buttery sweetcorn is a highlight of late summer/early fall. I remember always husking the corn before dinner so my mom could have it ready(somehow my siblings never had to do any labor.) Anyway, Mmmm...

2. Getting purposefully lost/hours of solitary entertainment - If you get angry and don't want to be around people, find the nearest tall corn field and just blindly run into the center. Turn around in a few circles, and there you go, no people!

3. Corn mazes - Great fun for family and friends. Carry a jug of cider and wander around in a maze yelling at friends for leading you to dead-ends. If you want to make it even more fun, when you get somewhere near the center, tear up the map. I can't promise your group won't attack you, but it sure promotes a good bonding experience.

4. Haunted corn fields - Oh man, it isn't Halloween if my friends and I don't get chased by a masked man carrying a chainsaw. In my opinion, my county (Putnam County) puts on one of the best haunted corn fields around. For a few bucks, I get a cheap thrill in the crisp night air, latched onto my friend's arm screaming bloody murder.

These are my top four ways to experience corn fields. If you can't check off this list, I suggest you hurry up and get out there before the farmers harvest it all. And if you have any interesting corn field stories/different uses for corn, let me know and I'll add it to my list!

No comments: