Monday, September 22, 2008

RSS means what?

When I viewed different blogs and videos online in the past, I always noticed the little "RSS" sympbol but never knew what it meant. After reading Citizen Marketers by Ben McConnell and Jackie Huba, I understand the significance of RSS (Really Simple Syndication). They explain that it simply "makes anything on the Web subscribable." It is commonly referred to as a "feed". I am baffled by a feed's comparison to traditional media. McConnell and Huba show that feeds do not consume energy, they are free, and they are an immediate form of communication, thereby accelerating direct communication between consumers and companies. Why aren't all companies jumping on this bandwagon? The economic benefits alone are substantial.

The required books for this class have so far been very enlightening. They are fun and informative, when I don't procrastinate. After only two weeks of class I have learned more than I ever expected. The field of PR is undergoing a radical revolution with social media at the forefront. Thank God I am learning about it now before I attempted to place myself in the work world without blogging knowledge or desire.

No comments: